SAGE Albuquerque is an affiliate of SAGE USA. We are a program of the Equality New Mexico Foundation, managed by an Advisory Committee of LGBT and ally seniors, as well as community members committed to making senior services welcoming to LGBT elders.
We collaborate with local government agencies, key providers and other LGBTQ organizations. Our goals are to educate the general public, service providers, and the LGBTQ community about the unique challenges older LGBT adults face and to connect them to opportunities for support.
A needs assessment conducted by SAGE Albuquerque conducted a needs assessment revealed that the majority of LGBT elders in New Mexico don’t want services specific to them. They want the services available to be LGBT appropriate. Respondents ranked the services most needed by LGBT seniors.
The top three were:
- Supportive housing options
- Health services
- Social activities
Therefore, the SAGE Albuquerque Advisory Committee is focusing on the following areas:
- Educating providers of services for seniors on the needs of LGBT seniors
- Creating/maintaining a database of LGBT friendly resources
- Improving in-home services
- Offering social events & support groups for LGBT elders