Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders
SAGE Albuquerque is an affiliate of SAGE USA. We are a program of the Common Bond New Mexico Foundation, managed by an Advisory Committee of seniors who are key leaders within the LGBTQ community and major providers of services for seniors.
We collaborate with local government agencies, key providers and other LGBTQ organizations. Our goals are to educate the general public, service providers, and the LGBTQ community about the unique challenges older LGBT adults face and to connect them to opportunities for support.
SAGE Albuquerque conducted a needs assessment; 164 persons responded. Overwhelmingly, LGBT elders said they don’t want services specific to them. They want the services available to be LGBT appropriate. Respondents ranked the services most needed by LGBT seniors.
The top three were:
- 66% – Supportive housing options
- 54% – Health services
- 48% – Social activities
Therefore, the SAGE Albuquerque Advisory Committee is focusing on the following areas:
- Educating providers of services for seniors on the needs of LGBT seniors
- Implementing a Friendly Visitors program
- Creating/maintaining a database of LGBT friendly resources
- Improving in-home services
- Offering social events & support groups for LGBT elders